Armita Geravand: Teenage girl allegedly attacked by Iranian morality police for not wearing headscarf dies

A teenage girl who was allegedly attacked by Iranian morality police for not wearing a headscarf has died, state media has said.

Armita Geravand, 16, suffered "severe injuries" after an altercation with the so-called morality police at Shohada station in the Iranian capital Tehran on 1 October, according to human rights organisation Hengaw.

Hengaw said Miss Geravand was dragged off a train, with the incident captured on CCTV.

Her case has been likened to that of Mahsa Amini, the 22-year-old woman whose death while in the custody of morality police prompted nationwide protests last year.

Previously a statement from the Islamic Republic of Iran News Network had said Miss Geravand was "brain dead".

Further images from Hengaw appeared to show her in a bed at Fajr Hospital.

There were claims her parents had been forbidden from posting any pictures of her on social media after the incident, or talking to human rights groups about what happened.

In a video, shared by state news agency IRNA, Miss Geravand's parents said she had suffered a drop in blood pressure and lost her balance, hitting her head. Human rights groups say the statement was made under duress.

Read more:
Who was Mahsa Amini?
Jailed Iranian activist gets Nobel Peace Prize
Iran to impose tougher punishments on headscarves

They called for footage from inside the train she appears to have been dragged off to be published.

A video clip shared with state media appears to show the teenager walking towards the train with two female friends. After boarding, one of the girls is dragged out by passengers.

Sky News has not been able to independently verify the footage.

Masoud Dorosti, head of the Tehran Metro Operating Company, said the CCTV footage shows no sign of conflict.

One year on from Mahsa Amini's death

Miss Geravand's death comes just over a year after Ms Amini's in September 2022.

She was detained by the country's morality police on 13 September for allegedly violating its strictly enforced dress code.

The morality police said she wore her headscarf too loosely, contrary to Iranian law that requires women to cover their hair completely.

Miss Amini collapsed at a police station and died three days later. Her death triggered national and international demonstrations - with many women cutting their hair in protest.

Iranian police say she died of a heart attack and was not mistreated, but her family have cast doubt on that account.