VIDEO SHOWS: ELITE SKIERS AND SNOWBOARDERS COMPETING IN THE WINTER GAMES NEW ZEALAND WHICH IS ONLY FEATURING LOCAL ATHLETES DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC. THE FORMAT HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR 2020, ALSO A RESULT OF THE PANDEMIC. THE MEN'S SKI AND SNOWBOARD WINNERS ON A RUN. WOMEN'S SNOWBOARD WINNER ON A RUN. WINNERS ON PODIUM WITH SOUNDBITES FROM EACH
COMPLETE SHOTLIST AND SCRIPT TO FOLLOW
SHOWS: CARDRONA, NEW ZEALAND (AUGUST 17, 2020) (QUATTRO MEDIA - ACCESS ALL)
1. VARIOUS OF SKI AND SNOWBOARD ATHLETES COMPETING IN THE PARK JAM EVENT AT THE WINTER GAMES NEW ZEALAND: OBSIDIAN COMPETITION
2. GENERAL VIEW OF THE MOUNTAIN PARK
3. PEOPLE WATCHING
4. ATHLETES WATCHING AND CHEERING
5. VARIOUS OF ATHLETES MAKING THEIR WAY TO COMPETE
6. VARIOUS OF MEN'S SKIING WINNER, FINN BILOUS, OF TEAM KUZMA, ON A RUN
7. VARIOUS OF MEN'S SNOWBOARDING WINNER, TIARN COLLINS, TEAM SMOOTHY, ON A RUN
8. VARIOUS OF WOMEN'S FREESKI & SNOWBOARD WINNER, ZOI SADOWSKI-SYNNOTT, OF TEAM KUZMA ON A RUN
9. MEN'S SKI PODIUM: BILOUS; JACKSON WELLS, TEAM KUZMA; AND BEAU-JAMES WELLS, TEAM SMOOTHY
10. (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEN'S SKIING WINNER, FINN BILOUS, OF TEAM KUZMA, SAYING:
"Definitely not. When we got up here this morning the set-up looked really good. So, I knew people would be throwing down, but that got way outta hand."
11. MEN'S SNOWBOARD PODIUM: COLLINS; JJ RAYWARD, TEAM KUZMA; AND RONAN THOMPSON, TEAM SMOOTHY
12. (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEN'S SNOWBOARDING WINNER, TIARN COLLINS, TEAM SMOOTHY, SAYING:
"Yeah, for sure. Yeah, it was sick. And it was sick with the set-up too because you could see all the different types of snowboarding. You know there was like, it wasn't just the rail jam, it was more of like a park, which was sick. Yeah, I loved it."
13. WOMEN'S PODIUM: SADOWSKI-SYNNOTT; CHRISTY PRIOR, TEAM SMOOTHY; AND RUBY ANDREWS, TEAM WELLS
14. (SOUNDBITE) (English) WOMEN'S FREESKI & SNOWBOARD WINNER, ZOI SADOWSKI-SYNNOTT, OF TEAM KUZMA, SAYING:
"Definitely surprised. Especially because it's all New Zealand-based and freeride and slopestyle. But all the freeride athletes were getting into it on the big air and in the park jam. And then all the slopestyle athletes and halfpipe and rails were getting into it on the freeride. So, like, all around surprise that everyone pulled through and yeah, hopefully good content all around."
STORY: The Winter Games New Zealand reinvented itself for 2020, making this year's event an all local affair and 'obsidian' event as the world continues to battle the COVID-19 pandemic.
Traditionally, the Southern Hemisphere's largest snow sports event welcomes athletes from around the world and kicks off the season for a slew of winter sporting events.
Without sacrificing any of the adrenaline, the revamped format instead has pitted three teams of seven New Zealander athletes and two videographers against each other in a content-driven competition.
The teams are both male and female and feature skiers and snowboarders competing in freeride, park jam, big air, and mountain shred events. Each of the teams will also be judged by the content created by their team of videographers.
The event has a 10-day weather window from August 10-20 at various alpine resorts across New Zealand's Southern Alps.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)