A 63-year-old woman in Sabah, who died from a fall at the Queen Elizabeth I Hospital in Kota Kinabalu, was not infected by Covid-19 as previously reported and was scheduled for discharge a day after her death.
Sabah health director Dr Christina Rundi said the woman - who was suspected to have the virus - actually tested negative three times.
"As such, the hospital had planned to discharge her from the ward on Oct 22," she said in a statement last night.
The woman had fallen to her death on the night of Oct 21, and Kota Kinabalu district police chief Habibi Majinji was yesterday quoted as saying that preliminary investigations found the woman was admitted to the hospital on Oct 13 after testing positive for Covid-19.
He was also cited by Harian Metro as saying that police were looking into the motive of suicide.
Christina said the hospital's mental health psychosocial support team has contacted the woman's family to provide them with psychological support.
She said the hospital will also be carrying out a detailed study of the incident and will make any suitable improvements.
Sabah is currently facing a massive outbreak of Covid-19. As of yesterday, there were 6,585 cases.
There have been 63 Covid-19 deaths in Sabah in this month alone.