Wayne Rooney blackmail complaint over hotel room photos dropped by police

·2-min read
Derby County manager Wayne Rooney is interviewed at the end of the Sky Bet Championship match at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea. Issue date: Saturday May 1, 2021. (Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images)
Wayne Rooney said he does 'not wish to take the matter any further'. (Getty)

Police have dropped a blackmail complaint about pictures of Wayne Rooney in a hotel room.

Cheshire Constabulary said it was “satisfied” there had been no offences committed, while Rooney added that he does “not wish to take the matter any further”.

A picture had emerged showing the Derby County manager with two women in a hotel room.

In one of the images, he was asleep in a chair with a woman posing near him.

There was no suggestion Rooney, 35, had acted inappropriately.

Wayne Rooney at the Derby FC Training Ground on Monday. (SWNS)
Wayne Rooney at the Derby County training ground on Monday. (SWNS)

Three women who took the pictures of the former Manchester United footballer are reported to have since made a written apology and agreed to sell him the copyright of the images for a nominal £1 fee.

They met Rooney in Chinawhite nightclub, Manchester, on Saturday night, the Mirror reported. 

A spokesman for Rooney told the newspaper on Wednesday: “These were three decent young women who went for a night out.

“They did not expect Wayne to end up in their company and are remorseful about how things turned out with the pictures.

“They got carried away and did something they later regretted. They did not expect it to end up in the mainstream media after it was posted on social media and they decided to take steps to put things right.”

Police said in a statement: "On Monday 26 July Cheshire Constabulary received reports of a possible blackmail relating to a number of images circulating online.

"Officers have spoken to the person involved and are satisfied that no offences have taken place.

"The person involved has also stated that they do not wish to take the matter any further."

Derby County FC said in a statement on Tuesday: "Wayne Rooney informed the club that the pictures had emerged and that they had been taken without his knowledge or approval.

“After taking counsel the matter was reported to Greater Manchester Police who are currently investigating the incident. While that remains the case, there will be no further comment."

It also emerged this week that Rooney injured key Derby player Jason Knight during a "50/50" tackle on the training ground. 

The Irish midfielder could be out for up to three months after suffering an ankle injury. 

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting