Batteries Ignite in Virginia Beach Garage

Charging batteries ignited in a residential garage in Virginia Beach, footage released by the local fire department on April 13 showed.

The Virginia Beach Fire Department said the multiple rechargeable devices using lithium-ion batteries were being charged in the garage. The fire was accidental, they said.

In the security footage, dated April 6, a fire is seen bursting from the corner of the garage with flames rising to the roof of the building. The room is seen quickly filling with smoke as the fire spreads.

The fire department told residents to make sure their devices were properly tested, to follow manufacturer’s instructions, only use the battery and charger for the designated device, and to unplug a fully charged device in order to prevent a similar fire. Credit: Virginia Beach Fire Department via Storyful

Video transcript