Valdo Calocane: Nottingham attack suspect denies murder but admits manslaughter after triple stabbing

Victims Grace Kumar and Barnaby Webber (Instagram)
Victims Grace Kumar and Barnaby Webber (Instagram)

A man has admitted killing three people who died in separate attacks in Nottingham.

Medical student Grace Kumar and history student Barnaby Webber, both 19, were stabbed to death in June.

School caretaker Ian Coates, 65, was killed soon afterwards.

Former student Valdo Calocane had been charged with three counts of murder.

He denied murder at Nottingham Crown Court on Tuesday but admitted three counts of manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility.

Court sketch of Valdo Calocane (PA)
Court sketch of Valdo Calocane (PA)

The 32-year-old also admitted the attempted murder of three others.

The prosecution will now review medical evidence before considering whether to accept the pleas.

Grace and Barnaby were walking home together from a night out when they were knifed soon after 4am.

Ian, a lifelong Nottingham Forest fan, died shortly afterwards when his van was stolen. The Nottinghamshire force has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct after it emerged that a marked police car followed the vehicle briefly.

Barnaby's parents David and Emma plus younger brother Charlie told of their heartbreak following the tragic loss.

They said: "We chose to come to this dreadful space because we owe it to both Barnaby and Grace to let them know we are here.

"As has been expressed by so many already, heartbreak cannot begin to describe our loss. As painful as this tribute today has been, it is yet another step forward on the very long, dark journey we havebeen forced to take.

"We would like to thank all at Nottingham University and the police for their professionalism, diligence, respect and care they have shown."

Barnaby and Grace were respected cricketers, and the England and Australia teams later wore black armbands for the Ashes Test at Edgbaston in honour of all the victims. The ground also held a minute's silence.

Thousands of people attended vigils for the victims after the attacks.