Two handed life sentences after man stabbed to death in Kingston

Sebastian Niven (left) and Sean Deery (right) were sentenced at the Old Bailey (Metropolitan Police)
Sebastian Niven (left) and Sean Deery (right) were sentenced at the Old Bailey (Metropolitan Police)

Two men have been jailed after they murdered a man in Kingston, southwest London.

Sean Deery, 28, and Sebastian Niven, 18, targeted their victim Farhad Khalili while he was walking along Surbiton Crescent at around 7pm on December 15, in 2021.

They stabbed him several times, leaving him to stagger to Surbiton Road and collapse. Paramedics attended but Mr Khalili was pronounced dead at the scene.

While the three men were known to each other, the reason for the killing has still not been determined.

Niven, who was 15 at the time of the attack, can only now be named because reporting restrictions were lifted when he became an adult in January.

Both killers were handed their sentences at the Old Bailey on Monday.

Deery, of no fixed address, was given life with a minimum term of 25 years imprisonment.

Farhad Khalili (Metropolitan Police)
Farhad Khalili (Metropolitan Police)

Niven, of Sugden Road in Thames Ditton, was handed life with a minimum of 14 years imprisonment.

They were found after the Metropolitan Police reviewed CCTV footage and were able to identify them.

Deery was detained after being wrongly identified as a suspect in a separate robbery that took place in nearby Portsmouth Road, Kingston shortly before the attack on Mr Khalili.

Niven had fled on foot but was arrested at his home the next day, when officers found blood-stained clothing linking him to the murder.

Detective Inspector Jim Barry, from the Specialist Crime Command, said: “While Mr Khalili and his assailants were known to each other it has never been established why they attacked him in such a violent manner.

“What is clear is that when Deery and Niven launched their attack, they did so with a ferocity and intent to cause Mr Khalili significant harm.

“The actions of those on the scene, including the officers who initially responded to the call, were commendable and helped us quickly identify and detain both suspects. The support and assistance from the local community was vital.

“This has enabled us to put those responsible for Mr Khalili’s murder before the courts to face the consequences of their actions. I hope these sentences bring some small degree of comfort to Mr Khalili‘s family and friends who have been left to deal with the tragic outcome."