Two convicted after father dies following stabbing outside Hackney Wick nightclub

Christopher Appiah-Blay has been convicted (Met Police)
Christopher Appiah-Blay has been convicted (Met Police)

A man who stabbed to death a father after a fight on a night out in Hackney has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Two men have been convicted after Trei Daley died after being attacked following an argument outside a takeaway shop near a club in Hackney Wick, east London, while his friend was seriously hurt.

Christopher Appiah-Blay was found guilty of manslaughter at the Old Bailey on Friday while Mawien Mawien was found guilty of grievous bodily harm.

Detective Inspector Jim Barry said: "Appiah-Blay and a woman had become involved in an argument resulting in him becoming aggressive and throwing food over her.

"Trei and his friends became involved, trying to calm things down. Instead, Appiah-Blay and Mawien who had gone out armed with knives and stabbed the pair. Trei and his friend were unarmed.”

Victim: Trei Daley (Met Police)
Victim: Trei Daley (Met Police)

Mr Daley, 26, from Bromley, died in hospital after emergency services were called to the scene at around 4.30am on February 11.

His unnamed friend, 24, left hospital later that same day having sustained two stab injuries to his back.

Mr Daley was stabbed next to Colour Factory nightclub in Hackney Wick after the four, who had all been around each other over the course of the evening, had left for a takeaway.

Appiah-Blay was seen pushing a woman. He complained that she had spat at him and threw a drink at her - some of the contents striking Mr Daley and his friend - and then a burger.

Mr Daley told Appiah-Blay to calm down but tensions were growing and a few minutes later a fight broke out. CCTV showed Mr Daley had struck the first blow against another man, both Appiah-Blay and Mawien instantly produced knives.

The fight moved to an alleyway area, where CCTV captured the two parties retreating and advancing as the dynamic shifted. One of Mr Daley’s friends had struck Appiah-Blay over the head with a bottle.

Mawien Mawien was also convicted (met police)
Mawien Mawien was also convicted (met police)

The fight then burst out back into the road and Mawien stabbed Mr Daley’s friend in the back. Seconds later Appiah-Blay stabbed Mr Daley twice in the chest.

Appiah-Blay went to another hospital for treatment for an injury to his hand but he refused to engage with police. However, investigations linked him to the death through clothing evidence and both he and Mawien were charged with murder.

They pleaded not guilty but Appiah-Blay was convicted of manslaughter and Mawien was convicted of GBH after a trial.

DI Barry added: “Trei was a loving father, son, brother, cousin and friend to many. His death is, and will continue to be devastating for them all.”

Appiah-Blay and Mawien will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on January 31.