Tuchel reveals Chelsea transfer plans and pours cold water on £30m striker exit

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel Credit: PA Images
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel Credit: PA Images

Thomas Tuchel says he wants two further additions to his Chelsea squad this summer, while puring cold water on rumours of Armando Broja’s proposed move to West Ham.

Chelsea have already completed the signings of Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly this summer, and have been linked with a number of further centre-backs.

READ MORE: Ten Premier League starters who have already been replaced by new signings but not yet sold

A report on Tuesday also claims the club are readying a ‘formal proposal’ for Barcelona star Frenkie de Jong as they look to beat Manchester United to the punch.

And Tuchel says more incomings are required if they are to “fight for the same position” in the Premier League this season.

Tuchel said: “I think we need a couple more players in to improve the squad. We were third last season – and we can discuss the reasons – but there is a gap between Man City and Liverpool.

“If we want to fight for the same position, we need to improve. If you stand still, other teams will overtake you. We lost players but it is common sense that we have to bring new quality to the team to maintain our level.”

The Chelsea manager also dealt a blow to West Ham, who were thought to be nearing an agreement to sign Broja for £30m.

The striker, who spent last season on loan with Southampton, returned to England from preseason to sort out his future.

Tuchel added: “I don’t expect Armando [Broja] to leave. We are aware of offers and interest but he is our player. We will take the decision with the owners. When he arrived, it was clear he was trying to impress and be a Chelsea player as soon as possible.

“I am pretty calm about it because we know the situation and we have a contract. From here we go.”

It was revealed on Monday that Billy Gilmour and Harvey Vale had joined Broja in leaving the Chelsea first team squad, and it’s since been confirmed that Tino Anjorin has also been jettisoned.

On his call to reduce touring party numbers, Tuchel said: “The decisions I took, I didn’t like them because all the players deserved to stay here. Also the guys that stayed deserve and are heavily involved. Ross (Barkley) was an example in every training session so far but has a little injury.

“Billy Gilmour we know well. Tino Anjorin, we struggled to find a role where he will play but I am a big fan.

“We have a lot of options but maybe not the type of player Armando is. As last season with Conor, we have to weigh up the interest in the player and our interest.

“Do we have a role for the player or not? Is there a prospect of getting minutes or not? If there isn’t for someone like Armando, it’s not enough to just train with the group.

“For someone like Harvey Vale, the transition of youth football and senior football it can be ok to adapt for a year to the intensity, physicality and training.

“I think like Armando, players who already played, we have to look at the situation very carefully and decide if we have the minutes to offer.”

The article Tuchel reveals Chelsea transfer plans and pours cold water on £30m striker exit appeared first on Football365.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting