KOTA BHARU, March 9 (Bernama) -- PAS deputy president Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man has been appointed as Minister of Environment in the new cabinet line-up announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin today.
Born on Aug 27, 1960, in Kampung Batu Balai, Jerantut, Pahang, Tuan Ibrahim became active in politics in the 10th General Election (GE10) in 1999, where he contested for the Jengka state seat and won by 319 , by securing 5,338 votes against Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate Datuk Zainal Hassan, who garnered 5,019 votes.
In GE11, however, he failed to defend the seat, losing to BN's Abdul Rahman Ibrahim by a 1,714-vote majority.
He also contested the Maran parliamentary seat but lost to BN candidate Ismail Abd Muttalib by 7,242 votes. Tuan Ibrahim obtained 8,483 votes, while Ismail received 15,725 votes.
PROFILE-TUAN IBRAHIM 2 KOTA BHARU
In GE12, Tuan Ibrahim contested the Jengka state seat, but lost by a slim majority of 596 votes to BN candidate Wan Salman Wan Ismail and lost again in the contest for the seat, also against Wan Salman, in GE13.
However, in GE14, the PAS Syura Council member contested the Kubang Kerian parliamentary seat and won by a whopping 19,369 vote-majority in a three-cornered fight by securing 35,620 votes against BN candidate Datuk Seri Muhammad Abd Ghani (16,251 votes) and Datuk Dr Abdul Halim Yusof of Pakatan Harapan (11,557 votes).
Tuan Ibrahim had served as a teacher at SMK Clifford in Kuala Lipis and went to further his studies in Dakwah and Leadership at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), before serving as a senior lecturer for 14 years at Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) in Jengka and Kuantan, Pahang; and Manjong, Perak.
The former Pahang Zakat Collection Centre advisor was appointed as PAS deputy president for the term 2019 to 2021 and is also Pahang PAS Commissioner, a post he held since 2004.
PROFILE-TUAN IBRAHIM 3 (LAST) KOTA BHARU
Following is a brief biography of Tuan Ibrahim:
Name: Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man.
Hometown: Kampung Batu Balai, Jerantut.
Education and achievements:
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Damak - Sekolah Menengah Agama Dong, Raub. - Sultan Abu Bakar College, Pekan. - B.A (Hons) in Dakwah Studies and Leadership, UKM. - Master's in Dakwah Studies and Leadership, UKM.
- Teacher at SM Clifford, Kuala Lipis. - Senior lecturer at UiTM (then known as Institut Teknologi MARA) (1986-1999) - Jengka assemblyman (1999-2002)
- Kubang Kerian MP (2018-present)
- PAS Central Committee member - Pahang PAS Commissioner - Kuala Krau PAS leader - PAS Central Information Chief - PAS Central Disciplinary Committee chairman
- PAS vice-president - PAS Syura Council member - PAS deputy president
TAGS: profile, Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man, PAS