A New York judge is expected to issue an “early to mid-February” ruling in the $370 million civil fraud case brought against former President Trump by the New York attorney general’s office, a court spokesperson said Thursday.
Judge Arthur Engoron previously said he would aim to issue a decision by the end of January but emphasized that the deadline was not firm. The new mid-February deadline is a “rough estimate” and is “subject to modifications,” according to the court spokesperson.
New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) sued Trump in 2022, claiming he falsely altered his net worth on key financial statements to receive tax and insurance benefits. The documents detailed the value of the Trump Organization’s various assets and were sent to banks and insurers to secure loans and deals.
The state purports those transactions are evidence of fraud, while Trump has maintained that there was no fraud and the banks who received the documents did their own due diligence.
The fraud trial ended in January after two months of testimony from 40 witnesses, including ex-Trump fixer Michael Cohen, top Trump Organization executives, Trump’s adult children involved in his business and the former president himself.
Before the trial began, Engoron found Trump, the Trump Organization and several top executives, including his adult sons, liable for fraud. Trump and the judge have had a contentious relationship throughout the trial.
In addition to the $370 million financial penalty, James has asked Engoron to ban Trump from New York’s real estate business for life.
The judge could issue his decision at any time.