NEW YORK — Former President Trump’s defamation trial brought by E. Jean Carroll will remain on pause Wednesday, the court said.
The additional pause was announced in a brief update on the docket without explanation and marks the third consecutive one-day delay.
After beginning last week, the trial was originally expected to resume Monday, with Trump showing up in court and his lawyer indicating he was prepared to take the stand as early as that day.
But U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan adjourned the trial within minutes over COVID-19 concerns. The court had sent a juror home who reported ill and instructed that person to take a COVID test.
Alina Habba, Trump’s lead lawyer in the case, also expressed feeling symptomatic on Monday and said she was recently exposed to the virus, though Kaplan indicated she had taken a test that morning and was negative.
Kaplan similarly kept the trial dark on Tuesday in a brief order without explanation.
Habba had indicated Trump wanted to go to New Hampshire for the primary, urging the judge to allow the former president to testify Wednesday instead.
But neither side had publicly asked the judge to delay the trial until later than that, and the reason behind the newest pause remains unclear.
Carroll’s lawyers had desired to still push ahead on Monday. After the judge granted the first pause, Carroll’s lawyer insisted the trial move ahead without the ill juror if they remained sick.
The court has not disclosed an update on the juror’s health or their test results.
Carroll is seeking at least $10 million in damages from Trump over his denials of Carroll’s accusation that Trump sexually assaulted her in the 1990s.
A previous jury found Trump liable for sexual battery, and the current trial is being held to determine how much Trump must pay for defaming Carroll by denying her story when she came forward in 2019.