President Trump renewed his attacks on Marie Yovanovitch, the former ambassador to Ukraine, during a lengthy phone interview on “Fox & Friends” on Friday morning.
Trump had been accused of witness intimidation when he tweeted an insult of Yovanovitch while she was testifying to the House Intelligence Committee last week. In the interview Friday morning, he called Yovanovitch an “Obama person,” and accused her of failing to put up his picture in the U.S. embassy in Kiev for a year and a half to two years after his election.
More from Variety
- Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders Ask DNC to Press NBC News for Independent Investigation
- Film Review: 'Scandalous: The Untold Story of the National Enquirer'
- Roger Stone, Trump Ally, Found Guilty of Lying to Congress, Witness Tampering
“This was not an angel, this woman, OK?” he said. “And there are a lot of things that she did that I didn’t like. And we will talk about that at some time. But I just want to let you know, this was not a baby that we’re dealing with.”
Yovanovitch’s attorneys denied the charge about the president’s photo. “The Embassy in Kiev hung the official photographs of the President, Vice President, and Secretary of State as soon as they arrived from Washington, DC,” her attorneys said, according to a NBC News tweet.
Trump also lashed out at Adam Schiff, the chair of the Intelligence Committee, said he welcomed an impeachment trial, and reiterated the debunked conspiracy theory that CrowdStrike — a California cyber security firm — has the Democratic National Committee’s server.
“They gave the server to CrowdStrike or whatever it’s called, which is a company owned by a very wealthy Ukrainian,” he said. “And I still want to see that server.”
CrowdStrike is partly owned by a U.S. citizen who was born in Russia. It has no Ukrainian owners. CrowdStrike has previously explained that it has provided all the evidence requested by the FBI, and has never taken possession of a server.
Best of Variety
- Oprah's Favorite Things of 2019: You Can't Go Wrong Gifting One of These This Year
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could