Travis Scott ‘Devastated’ by Astroworld Tragedy: ‘My Prayers Go Out to the Families’

·2-min read

Travis Scott in a statement Saturday said he was “devastated” by the tragedy in which eight people were killed at his Astroworld music festival in Houston Friday night.

“My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival,” Scott wrote on Twitter. “Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life.”

The eight people were killed after a crowd surge caused a panic, creating scores of injuries and at least 11 people who went into cardiac arrest.

The show, which featured Drake performing on stage with Houston native Travis Scott, was ended shortly after the incident, according to the Associated Press. Saturday’s performances at the sold-out festival have been canceled.

At least 17 people were rushed to local hospitals, including 11 who were in cardiac arrest, according to Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña. Dozens of people were also treated at the scene, where a field hospital had been set up. About 300 people were examined at that site throughout the day, he said. Officials are continuing to investigate the tragedy to determine the exact causes of the surge.

The Astroworld festival also issued a statement on Saturday morning announcing the cancellation of the festival on Saturday and adding that they are supporting local authorities. The festival also added that with the detectives, they are looking into the cardiac arrests that took place and asking people who have information to contact @HoustonPolice.

“Our hearts are with the Astroworld festival family tonight, especially those we lost and their loved ones,” the statement on Instagram read. “Thank you to our partners at the Houston Police Department, Fire Department and NRG Park for their response and support.”

Both the Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued statements about the tragedy, with Turner telling the New York Times that the Astroworld festival had more security than the World Series and that they were investigating all possible causes for the cardiac arrests. The mayor also added that the ages of the dead ranged from 16-23.

See Scott’s statement below:

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting