Toxic gas from rotten fish in Kota Kinabalu leaves one unconscious

·1-min read

A group of men were exposed to toxic gas believed to have come from a container filled with rotten fish on Sunday night in Sepanggar.

The victim, Jirol Carumpi, 23, was found unconscious and his friends Jolito Araza, 38, Riswan, and Muhammad Mufli, both 27, and Shahril, 19, were quickly taken to the hospital.

The Kota Kinabalu Fire and Rescue station (BBP) received a distress call at 8:26 pm and deployed 15 personnel to the scene.

According to BBP chief Ordine Gilu, the group was exposed to the toxic gas at 8pm.

“Upon arrival, they found that the toxic gas came from a container filled with rotten fish.

“The Hazardous Materials Unit team (Hazmat) conducted a search in the vicinity to trace the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), but did not detect any chemical substances,” he said in a statement.

He said the Hazmat unit then found the five victims involved and evacuated them to a safe location.

“There were five victims, one of them was unconscious and was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance to be treated. The four others were also transported to the hospital by the Emergency Services Assistance Unit (ERMS) and Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM),” he said.

The operation ended at 10:08pm, he added.


Victims of 2021 train crash near KLCC to sue Malaysian public transport company

RapidRail and Prasarana are being sued by eight people for alleged negligence relating to injuries sustained during the May 20, 2021 Kelana Jaya LRT crash. They all identified themselves as… Read more.