Tottenham make Conte contract decision but ‘face battle’ to persuade Spurs fan to take over
Tottenham will not renew Antonio Conte’s contract as manager but could struggle to appoint their top target, according to reports.
Spurs have done their best to destroy their chances of a successful season over the last three matches with many Tottenham fans livid over their recent performances.
It started with a 1-0 loss in the FA Cup to Championship side Sheffield United – who made eight changes for the match – before a 1-0 Premier League defeat to Wolves dented their hopes of finishing in the top four this season.
And they topped off a terrible seven days with a lifeless 0-0 draw against AC Milan in the Champions League on Wednesday, a result which saw the Italian giants head through 1-0 on aggregate.
There were already doubts as to whether Conte would look to stay on beyond the end of the season with his contract expiring in the summer – but now it looks less likely than ever.
It’s early March and Tottenham are already set for another trophyless campaign with more speculation that Manchester United will look to poach Harry Kane in the summer transfer window.
And The Sun claims that Spurs ‘will not extend’ Conte’s contract, not that there has been assurances from the Italian that he wants to, and ‘it is now a matter of when, not if, Conte departs after a week from hell’.
Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino have both been reported as targets for Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy if Conte is sacked or leaves at the end of the season.
But The Sun reckon Tuchel ‘would need to be convinced the Tottenham job is right for him’ while Levy has ‘reservations about bringing back fans’ favourite Pochettino’.
Tuchel – who was a Spurs fan growing up – was sacked by Chelsea earlier this season and replaced by Graham Potter and Levy ‘needs to convince the German coach he can give him the tools to make Tottenham serious trophy challengers’.
On Conte’s future, The Sun add:
‘Spurs have no immediate plans to get rid of the Italian, who has just recovered from emergency gallbladder surgery.
‘But the board could change tack if they feel Tottenham’s chances of finishing in the top four are under threat.’
After their 0-0 draw against AC Milan, Conte insists the club knows his “vision” but that Wednesday was “not the right day to speak about the future”.
Conte told reporters: “This is not the right day to speak about the future but I have a contract with Tottenham and then Tottenham know very well which is my thought and at end of season we will meet and make a decision,” Conte said.
“I have a great relationship with my chairman (Daniel Levy), with Fabio Paratici but it doesn’t mean I don’t tell them which is my vision you understand? Then we will see.
“Now we have to finish the season. I have a contract until June. I am happy to work in Tottenham but at the end will make a decision, OK, but the club knows very well which is my vision, which are my thoughts about the situation.”
READ MORE: Big Weekend: Fulham and former Gunners host Arsenal; Antonio Conte, Liverpool, Calvert-Lewin
The article Tottenham make Conte contract decision but ‘face battle’ to persuade Spurs fan to take over appeared first on Football365.com.