* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.78 percent to 20,401.49
* Leading the index were Celestica Inc , up 17.3%, First Quantum Minerals Ltd, up 7.5%, and Cenovus Energy Inc, higher by 7.4%.
* Lagging shares were Telus International Cda Inc, down 8.8%, Franco-Nevada Corp, down 2.5%, and Denison Mines Corp, lower by 2.2%.
* On the TSX 166 issues rose and 61 fell as a 2.7-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 6 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 210.0 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Canadian Natural Resources Ltd, Suncor Energy Inc and Cenovus Energy Inc.
* The TSX's energy group rose 5.04 points, or 3.9%, while the financials sector climbed 2.73 points, or 0.7%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 2.14%, or $1.51, to $72 a barrel. Brent crude rose 2.12%, or $1.58, to $75.94 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 17% for the year.
This summary was machine generated September 22 at 21:03.