‘Top Chef’ & Food Network Daytime Emmy-Winning Chef Justin Sutherland Loses Deals In Aftermath Of Arrest

The fallout continues for celebrity chef Justin Sutherland, who was arrested June 28 in Minnesota for threatening to kill his girlfriend.

A nonprofit in St. Paul said Friday that it’s canceling its partnership with Sutherland to develop a new concept for Golden Thyme Coffee and Café, which the nonprofit’s trust bought when the cafe’s owners retired.

More from Deadline

Earlier, a partnership between Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine and Sutherland was ended. The two collaborated since 2018 on an annual barbecue festival called “Smoke Out.”

Sutherland’s credits include judging on the TV shows “Top Chef” and “Chopped,” and competing on “Iron Chef America,” “Tournament of Champions,” and hosting the series “Fast Foodies” and “Taste the Culture with Justin Sutherland.”

Sutherland was arrested and charged with one felony count of threats of violence with reckless disregard, according to court documents. Police responded to a 911 call that suggested a man was holding a woman at gunpoint.

Police arrived and found Sutherland exiting the address. When asked to turn around and put his hands behind his head, Sutherland allegedly screamed, “I called 911 and [you’re] trying to f—ing arrest me?” and “You should just f—ing kill me.”

Sutherland’s girlfriend told police the incident started when they argued over attending a music festival. The girlfriend claimed she phoned her sister, and while speaking to her, Sutherland “placed both hands around her neck, and applied pressure while telling her, ‘I want you dead.’” She said she was able to breathe, and the exchange only lasted seconds.

The chef allegedly took her phone and damaged it. She then went to the neighbors for a phone, but Sutherland brandished a black handgun. He allegedly said, “Don’t come back here, or I am going to shoot you.”

He allegedly pointed his gun at her before hitting her in the chest with the weapon.

After his arrest, Sutherland issued a statement apologizing for the situation, but claiming innocence. “Over the weekend, I found myself in a situation where I was taken into custody and accused of a crime. I deeply regret putting myself in that position and the pain and distress caused to those around me. I sincerely apologize to my family, friends, and fans,” he said.

“I am innocent of these charges and look forward to using the judicial system to prove my innocence. Notwithstanding, this incident has made me realize the urgent need to seek professional help and make significant changes in my life.”

“I am committed to making amends and seeking treatment. Once again, I offer my sincerest apologies to everyone affected by my behavior. Thank you for your support and understanding during this difficult time while we wait for the truth to come forward and further prove my innocence.”

Sutherland was released on his own recognizance without bail. He reportedly is entering into a treatment center.

Last year, Sutherland won the Daytime Emmy Award for Culinary Host for his work on “Taste the Culture.” He beat out Guy Fieri, Ina Garten, and Emeril Lagasse.

Best of Deadline

Sign up for Deadline's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.