Three Covid-19 deaths from Simpang Renggam’s enhanced MCO areas, Health D-G says

Ben Tan


Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said Malaysia has recorded three new deaths so far from the areas under the EMCO in Simpang Renggam. — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa

KUALA LUMPUR, April 10 — Malaysia has recorded three new deaths so far from the areas under the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) in Simpang Renggam, Kluang, said Health Director-General Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said today.

He said three new deaths — Cases #1,114, #1,251, and #2,627 — bring the Covid-19 death toll in Malaysia to 70 cases.

“It was informed that there are 79 positive cases detected before EMCO, and 59 more after the EMCO came into effect.

“There are three deaths from this area,” he said in his daily briefing, referring to Bandar Baharu Dato’ Ibrahim Majid, which was one the first two areas in Simpang Renggam that came under EMCO.

Dr Noor Hisham said the area around Bandar Baharu Dato’ Ibrahim Majid has been identified as a buffer zone covering the areas of Kampung Dato’ Ibrahim Majid, Kampung Parit Penghulu, Kampung Parit Salleh and Taman Seri Bayu.

He said the areas Is estimated to have a population of about 1,800 people.

“We have applied active case detection (ACD) procedures to 1,500 people with 359 of them already undergoing sample screening based on risk assessment.

“A total of 13 cases were found to be positive, 88 negative and 258 cases pending laboratory testing process,” said Dr Noor Hisham.

During the EMCO period in Simpang Renggam, Dr Noor Hisham said various activities were carried out, including resident census, house-to-house ADC, sampling, disinfection related activities and health promotion.

“In cases where the is Covid-19 positive case, the patient will be quarantined at the Kluang Department of Orang Asli Development (Jakoa) training centre,” he said.

Yesterday, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the EMCO in the two areas on Simpang Renggam which was supposed to end on the same day, was extended to April 14.

He said the special Cabinet committee meeting had agreed to the extension.

The government decided to implement the EMCO in two areas in Simpang Renggam after it recorded 61 Covid-19 positive cases. The EMCO began on March 27.

Under the EMCO, all residents and people who were already in the two areas are prohibited from leaving, and no one was allowed to enter the area.

All forms of activity, including business and trade, in the two areas are closed.

At present, five areas in the country are under the EMCO. They are the Selangor Mansion and Malayan Mansion buildings at Jalan Masjid India in Kuala Lumpur, in addition to Simpang Renggam (Johor), Hulu Langat (Selangor) and Menara City One (Kuala Lumpur).  


Related Articles Raja Permaisuri, Johor Sultan aid Covid-19 fight by donating beds, ventilators to hospitals MOH personnel reminded of prudent use of PPEs Ismail Sabri: Putrajaya to study allowing students to travel home