Three people were arrested on Wednesday (May 26) over a weekend cable car crash in Italy that killed 14 people, leaving a 5-year-old boy as the sole survivor.
The safety brake mechanism had been deactivated, police told Reuters, and prosecutors have opened an involuntary manslaughter and negligence investigation.
The emergency brake had been kicking in repeatedly and stopping the cable car working as it should, a provincial Carabinieri chief told Italy's RAI broadcaster.
On Sunday (May 23), it failed to engage at all and the gondola slid backwards, apparently hitting a pylon before it plunged to earth and rolled down a steep slope.
The owner of Ferrovie Mottarone, the company that manages the cable way, its director, and the manager of the cable way were arrested.
The cable way connected the town of Stresa, on the shores of Lake Maggiore in northern Italy, to a nearby mountain.