Teofimo Lopez tests positive for COVID-19, fight vs. George Kambosos moved to Aug. 14

·Combat columnist
·2-min read

One of the busiest boxing Saturdays in recent memory got a little less busy when undisputed lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez tested positive Tuesday for COVID-19.

As a result, his fight with mandatory challenger George Kambosos and the entire card has been postponed until Aug. 14. It will be at a venue to be determined. Saturday’s card had been scheduled for Miami.

“Teofimo Lopez has symptomatic COVID-19, which was confirmed this morning after testing,” Triller’s Ryan Kavanaugh said in a statement. “The entire Triller Fight Club card, including the main event, is being rescheduled for Aug. 14. We send our best to Teofimo Lopez and his family and hope they get better soon. We can’t wait to see this epic battle on Aug. 14.”

Triller Fight Club won the right to promote the Lopez-Kambosos fight at a purse bid. It bid a whopping $6.2 million, blowing away bids by Lopez promoter Top Rank ($2.3 million) and Matchroom Sport ($3.5 million). It hoped to use Lopez as a centerpiece of its desire to move from promoting celebrity boxing to real fights.

Lopez defeated Vasiliy Lomachenko in Las Vegas in October to become the undisputed champion and make him one of the sport’s biggest stars.

Update (8:45 p.m. ET) — On Tuesday evening, a "devastated" Lopez confirmed he was out of Saturday's fight due to COVID-19 in a series of tweets. The 23-year-old champion said the health and safety of others was one of his main concerns in postponing the fight.

By now you’ve heard the news that I have had to withdraw from the fight due to COVID. Being a champion means doing hard things. NO EXCEPTIONS. And I choose to keep my fellow athletes safe. (Part One)

I am devastated to disappoint so many people. I know the sacrifices we have all made to get here. I believe I am doing the right thing. I don’t want to infect anybody. Sport has power. I choose to use my power to be a good example. (Part Two)

The most powerful thing I can do is protect those I love - and I love the sport of boxing and all of the athletes, fans, trainers, my sponsors and promoters. Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I appreciate your support! (Part Three)

OXON HILL, MD - JULY 19: Teofimo Lopez walks to his corner after the seventh round of his lightweight IBF World Title Elimination fight against Masayoshi Nakatani (not pictured) at The Theater at MGM National Harbor on July 19, 2019 in Oxon Hill, Maryland. (Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)
On Tuesday, Triller announced undisputed lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez tested positive for COVID-19. (Photo by Scott Taetsch/Getty Images)

More from Yahoo Sports:

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting