Teenager charged with attempted murder after transgender girl stabbed 14 times at party

Summer Betts-Ramsey appeared at Willesden magistrates court (PA)
Summer Betts-Ramsey appeared at Willesden magistrates court (PA)

A teenage transgender girl was rushed to hospital after being stabbed 14 times, a court has heard.

The victim, 18, was attending a roller-skating party with friends when she was allegedly attacked by a group and subjected to slurs, it is said.

Summer Betts-Ramsey, 19, appeared in the dock at Willesden magistrates court on Tuesday, accused of being involved in the stabbing.

She has been charged with attempted murder and possession of an offensive weapon in public.

Prosecutor Bunsri Bhuwa confirmed to the court that “the victim is a transgender female.”

The stabbing happened in Masons Avenue in Wealdstone, northwest London at roughly 7pm on Saturday.

The court heard the victim had arranged to attend a rollerskating party with friends at Harrow Leisure Centre that day.

It is said she sustained 14 stab wounds in the alleged attack and was rushed to hospital for treatment.

Betts-Ramsey wept in the dock as she confirmed her name, date of birth, and her address in Cricklewood, northwest London.

She did not formally enter any pleas after the charges were read out to her.

Wearing prison-issue grey clothes and with her hair tied up into a ponytail, the teenager was flanked by two guards during the 30-minute hearing.

She was remanded into custody until a plea hearing at the Old Bailey on March 12.

After being told she faces the next month in custody, Betts-Ramsey tearfully asked to speak to her mother through the glass front of the dock. Afterwards, she called out “I love you” when she was led away to the cells.

The court was told Betts-Ramsey denies being involved in the stabbing.

The Metropolitan Police has said the victim of the alleged attack has now been discharged from hospital and is being supported by her family.

Detective Inspector Nicola Hannant, who is leading the investigation, appealed for witnesses to the attack.

Four people have been arrested in connection with the incident, but Betts-Ramsey is the only one to have faced a court hearing.

“We continue to appeal for anyone who may have been in the area or who believes they have further information to come forward and speak to us”, said DI Hannant.

“We have increased police patrols in the area and would encourage people to approach these officers with any information or concerns.”

Anyone with information can call 101, quoting the reference 6306/10Feb or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.