Police said a man was in custody on September 20 after the base of the Washington Monument was vandalized with red paint.
Video by Christopher Chern shows police with a handcuffed man next to the graffitied Washington Monument. The graffiti reads, "Have you been f***** by this. Gov says tough s***.”
The United States Park Police said on Tuesday night that the area around the monument was temporarily closed due to the vandalism. National Park Service conservators would work on the restoration, police said.
A spokesman for the park service said that process could take two to three weeks, WTOP reported. Credit: Christopher Chern via Storyful
- 10-4, we have standby. It's 9-239.
- Seems like you got some good video. [INAUDIBLE]
- Can you get on the grass, please?
- I thought they were taking it down. I've got transport waiting.
- There you go.
- Yeah. I tried to get her.