Strikes rock Sudan's capital despite truce pledge

STORY: Amid Sudan's crisis, a reason for joy.

A newborn baby, delivered in a car, during a conflict that has closed many hospitals.

Zeinb Ezzaldeen was among medical volunteers who performed the emergency delivery.

“Our feeling was really great because this gave us positive energy during the war because we managed to at least help.”

The baby was named Muntasir, meaning "victorious".

But back in the capital, the violence continues.

Tanks, artillery and strikes from the air shook Sudan's capital Khartoum on Friday (April 28), witnesses said.

That's despite the army and a rival paramilitary force agreeing to extend a truce by 72 hours.

The United States has called persistent ceasefire violations "worrying" amid violence that has killed hundreds of people.

Tens of thousands have fled for their lives.

Motaz Ahmed has just arrived by bus in Cairo with his wife, three children and parents.

A journey that usually takes a day, he says, lasted a week.

And that's not the only thing that has dramatically increased.

He says the ticket to the border cost $1,000. It's usually just $20.

For those remaining in the capital Khartoum, a humanitarian crisis is deepening.

Sudan's army has been directing air strikes on the Rapid Support Forces that have spread out in neighborhoods across the capital.

The urban warfare has pinned down residents who have diminishing access to food, fuel, water and electricity.

Tarek Ahmed has managed to buy bread, eggs and a watermelon - but he fears what lies ahead.

“The situation now is that the food supplies are diminishing, and the citizen will face a famine or at least a crushing food crisis.”

The army and the RSF had said they'd agreed to extend a ceasefire, which expired on Thursday (April 27) evening, by 72 hours.

The truce has allowed foreign countries to carry out diplomatic evacuations.

But heavy gunfire and detonations have continued.

Turkey's defense minister said one of their evacuation planes was shot at as it landed in Khartoum's adjacent city Omdurman on Friday - adding that there were no injuries.

Sudan's army accused the RSF of firing at the plane. The RSF denied this and said the army was "spreading lies".