VIDEO SHOWS: SPAIN TRAINING SESSION / NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SOUNDBITES FROM SPAIN COACH LUIS ENRIQUE ON MATCH AND ON RAFA NADAL'S FRENCH OPEN WIN / NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SOUNDBITES FROM SPAIN MIDFIELDER SERGIO BUSQUETS ON BARCELONA, HIS FUTURE AND RAFA NADAL
RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
SHOWS: KYIV, UKRAINE (OCTOBER 12, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
1. SPAIN ON TRAINING PITCH DAY AHEAD OF NATIONS LEAGUE MATCH AGAINST UKRAINE
2. SQUAD IN MIDDLE OF THE PITCH IN LARGE RONDO - A POSSESSION TRAINING DRILL
3. VARIOUS OF RONDO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PITCH
4. SPAIN DEFENDER, SERGIO RAMOS, KICKING BALL DURING TEAM TRAINING SESSION / RONDO
5. VARIOUS MORE OF RONDO
6. SPAIN WINGER, ADAMA TRAORE, DURING RONDO
7. SPAIN WINGER, ANSU FATI, IN MIDDLE OF RONDO
8. BALLS ON PITCH NEAR COACHING STAFF'S FEET
9. COACHING STAFF
10. PLAYERS ON PITCH DURING TRAINING SESSION
11. SPAIN GOALKEEPERS WALKING TO NET TO TRAIN
13. SPAIN SQUAD INCLUDING FATI AND MIDFIELDER, SERGIO BUSQUETS, PUTTING ON ORANGE BIBS
14. VARIOUS OF RAMOS AND TEAM MATES MEETING IN HUDDLE
15. WIDE OF PITCH DURING TEAM TRAINING SESSION
16. GOALKEEPER, KEPA ARRIZABALAGA, TRAINING
17. PLAYERS ON PITCH DURING TEAM TRAINING SESSION
18. SPAIN COACH, LUIS ENRIQUE, SITTING DOWN FOR NEWS CONFERENCE
19. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN COACH, LUIS ENRIQUE, ON PLAYING WITH FANS IN STADIUM, SAYING:
"This is a situation that I think when you look at the bigger picture, we should all be happy about. The possibility of playing tomorrow with spectators, when you look at the bigger picture, is something positive and optimistic for everyone. Because it looks like we're starting to return to normal. I leave it at that. I'm not going to try to analyse on whether it benefits or is clearly better for the local team, but in this case, to be able to play for an audience is great. Even if they're not cheering for us, we can get energy from them and I think any advancement towards normality is a good thing."
20. NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
21. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN COACH, LUIS ENRIQUE, ON ANSU FATI AND ATTACKING PLAN, SAYING:
"The plan the forward's have is there is always man-marking. It's not like there are different situations no matter what our opponents' defensive strategy is whether it is zone or individual marking, once the forward is in their zone, all the forwards, not just Ansu (Fati), they're all marked. In the case of our attacking plan, what we're going to do is always try to rack up the highest number of offensive situations and put the ball in the best situation. And after that, each game has it's own difficulties that the players have to resolve."
23. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN COACH, LUIS ENRIQUE, ON UKRAINE, SAYING:
"It's a team that is loyal to their style of play. Despite the fact that there could be people missing from the match tomorrow, they're sure to follow the ideas their coach has and they're an interesting team. It's a good squad technically that knows how to defend well. It's true that in our first game we had a wide margin (winning 4-0), but that's because of the high level we played at. We need to have another really good game tomorrow to beat them."
25. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN COACH, LUIS ENRIQUE, ON RAFA NADAL, SAYING:
"In closing I'd like to - in the name of the national squad, the players, myself, the coaches and the staff and the federation - to give a big congratulations to the great Rafa Nadal for winning his 13th Roland Garros yesterday and his 20th Grand Slam. Even though it's really easy to congratulate him right now, I'm also remembering some of the losses he's faced in which he gave us life lessons on how to accept a loss. And at these times, to have references like Rafa Nadal to represent our country gives us a lot of pride. We congratulate him for his success, but we also recognize him for how he accepts a loss and the respect he always shows his opponents. So, a big congratulations."
26. LUIS ENRIQUE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
27. LOGO BACKDROP
28. SPAIN MIDFIELDER, SERGIO BUSQUETS, ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE
30. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN MIDFIELDER, SERGIO BUSQUETS, ON CURRENT SITUATION AT BARCELONA, SAYING:
"One thing is what happened off the pitch, which like you say, it's not been the club's (Barcelona) best moment, but I'm not going to go through it all point by point because I could be here five or six hours. And then what happened on (the pitch), it's clear it wasn't our best year or our best moment. And you can see that on an individual level and especially collectively. Soccer is a team sport and if you're not doing well collectively that means you won't be individually either. Even though it wasn't our best moment, it's past now and we have another opportunity now. Some things have changed and are hopeful things will go better. Like I said before, it's always a pleasure to come and I'm always very happy and proud to come and play so many matches as an international and I hope that's how it goes."
32. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN MIDFIELDER, SERGIO BUSQUETS, ON HIS FUTURE WITH SPAIN, SAYING:
"I don't know. Like I said before and you've said, I take it season to season. I'm obviously not 20-years-old anymore, so I can't look to the future too much. So, I'm fit now, I'm happy to be here, I'm doing well, and really want to continue on."
33. MEDIA AT NEWS CONFERENCE
34. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SPAIN MIDFIELDER, SERGIO BUSQUETS, ON RAFA NADAL, SAYING:
"I want to add to what coach (Luis Enrique) said and congratulate Rafa (Nadal) on what he achieved yesterday which was historic and something we don't always see but he deserves it and he's an example as an athlete both on and off the court both when he wins and when he loses. And we all join in congratulating him and hopefully there will be many more."
35. BUSQUETS LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
STORY: Spain will look to keep the attacking pressure on and rack up as many opportunities as they can when they face Ukraine in the Nations League on Tuesday (October 13) coach Luis Enrique said on Monday (October 12).
After an underwhelming 1-0 win over Switzerland on Saturday (October 10), Spain currently lead League A Group 4 with seven points from three games, two points ahead of Germany, who beat Ukraine 2-1.
Mikel Oyarzabal scored in the 14th minute against Switzerland, but he and Barcelona teenage talent Ansu Fati both spurned further chances as Spain failed to add to their lead.
Though Spain beat Ukraine 4-0 in their first meeting back in September, Luis Enrique said they will have to bring their 'A' game to notch another win against the Ukrainians.
Midfielder Sergio Busquets, when asked about his future with the national team, said he is taking things season by season, but added that he is feeling fit and hopes to continue to be a part of the squad for the foreseeable future.
Busquets said he could spend hours going over issues his club Barcelona faced last year, but that he was hopeful they will have a more successful season this year.
Both Busquets and Luis Enrique congratulated their compatriot Rafa Nadal who won his 13th French Open on Sunday (October 11).
With the win at Roland Garros, Nadal equalled Roger Federer for the most-ever Grand Slam titles with 20 each.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)