Advertisement

Seven men go on trial for murder of 24-year-old shot dead on London street

Kai McGinley (Met Police)
Kai McGinley (Met Police)

Seven men have gone on trial accused of murdering a man who was allegedly shot in a "planned and targeted execution" on a residential street.

The death of 24-year-old Kai McGinley was "almost certainly drugs related", the Old Bailey was told on Wednesday.

He was travelling with two friends in a Mini which was deliberately hit by a Land Rover in Erith, south-east London, on February 9 last year.

Occupants of the Land Rover and a Peugeot got out and opened fire with shotguns at 8.46pm.

Prosecutor Brian O’Neill KC said: "Four or five shots were fired from two shotguns at close range, one of which fatally wounded Kai McGinley."

The killers fled the scene leaving the victim with a fatal chest wound, the court heard.

Emergency services attended and Mr McGinley was pronounced dead at 9.31pm.

It is alleged Bradlee Reeve, Enriko Spahiu and Anthony Wallder were in the Peugeot.

Kai Osibodu, Connor Brooks, Jalees Selby-Gangera, and Charlie Brabon are alleged to have been in the Land Rover.

Mr O’Neill told jurors: “It was a planned and targeted execution which was almost certainly drugs related.”

The occupants of the Land Rover and Peugeot were in telephone contact with a man, Derek Hards, who was awaiting the delivery of drugs from Mr McGinley’s Mini, the prosecutor suggested.

Mr O’ Neill said: “How else was it that those two vehicles came to intercept the Mini in the very next road to where Mr Hards lived within seconds of those calls?”

Reeve, 34, of Belvedere; Wallder, 21, of Erith; Spahiu, 21, of Belvedere; Osibodu, 24, of Erith; Brooks, 21, of Erith; Selby-Gangera, 18, of Belvedere; and Brabon, 19, of Erith, deny murder.

They also deny the attempted murders of William Burton, 31, and Norman Samur, 25, who were in the victim’s Mini.

The Old Bailey trial continues.