Selangor flood evacuees can apply for RM1,000 state aid from Wednesday, says MB

·3-min read
Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari speaks during a press conference in Shah Alam December 21, 2021. — Picture by Firdaus Latif
Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari speaks during a press conference in Shah Alam December 21, 2021. — Picture by Firdaus Latif

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 27 — Selangor residents displaced by the recent floods can apply for RM1,000 disaster aid from the state government’s Bantuan Selangor Bangkit fund starting December 29.

Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari who made the announcement today said those who are currently staying at one of the state temporary relief centres (PPS) or waiting to be transferred into one will be registered automatically for this financial aid.

“We broke it up into three categories: those in the public PPS, those in private or their own PPS and those who did not move to the PPS. Those who fit the third category will need to get themselves registered at the 1 Stop Centres that we will establish soon.

“You can download the forms online too but we are mobilising our officers to come to your houses on foot so we can get your information and start channeling this aid to you.

“You need not make a police report that your home was razed by the floods. All you need is to make a report that you’ve lost your IC and you will be eligible for state aid,” he told a news conference aired over Facebook this afternoon.

Amirudin also said Muslims in the state will also get an extra RM600 from Zakat Selangor.

He said the state will start distributing the money from Wednesday onwards, adding that those who have yet to move into the PPS will get their money from January 3 next year.

“I hope by the end of January we would have been able to distribute all the monies to the needy,” he said.

And estimated 40,000 people from 9,000 families are currently sheltering at 205 PPS statewide after being displaced by the floods that ravaged peninsular Malaysia the weekend before Christmas.

The current death toll stands at 25 people.

Amiruddin said over RM369 million have been spent so far on post-flood relief efforts, mostly for cleaning up, roadworks, and providing drinking water to affected residents.

He added that 13,699 tonnes of waste have been collected during clean-up.

The authorities have also closed several roads in Hulu Langat district for the passage of dump trucks, resulting in traffic congestion.

Amirudin noted that many people have volunteered to clean up the flood-ravaged areas and expressed his thanks.

As such, he said the dump trucks will not be mobilised on Friday and Saturday so as not to hinder the volunteers.

He urged the volunteers to register with the state agencies or any state official for their own safety and to improve coordination between the state government and NGOs.

He noted that two volunteers had died to date.

“We also have Subang Jaya MP Michele Ng who is helping coordinate the relief efforts and anyone wanting to help or in need of help can go to teguhbersama.com,” Amirudin said.

The mentri besar said the Selangor government has cancelled all its state celebrations for the new year in light of the floods, replacing them with prayer and solidarity programmes instead.

He suggested that others may want to follow suit.

Related Articles Water surge incident caused floods in Hulu Langat, says Selangor MB Selangor MB: Several roads in Hulu Langat closed to facilitate post-flood waste collection Would BN’s Canal City project solve Selangor flood today if built? MB Amirudin says it would have depended on the size

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting