Search ongoing after Jordan building collapse

STORY: At least 25 people were in the dilapidated residential building in the Webdeh district of the Jordanian capital when it crumbled on Tuesday (September 13).

Civil defence rescuers worked through the night to remove collapsed concrete roofs and lift debris in a desperate search for survivors. About a dozen people had been evacuated so far, several with serious injuries, hospital sources said.

Civil Defence chief Hatem Jaber told reporters that search and rescue operations would continue until there was no hope of finding more survivors, adding that over 350 rescuers were involved, as well as drones and police dogs.

The latest survivor to be pulled out of the debris was a 5-month old baby who was in stable condition, a hospital source said.

Prime Minister Bisher al Khasawneh ordered an investigation as officials blamed the building's state of disrepair.