Scotland win in Wales to spoil Jones' landmark Test

·3-min read

Scotland finally ended their long wait for an away win against Wales with a 14-10 success in their Six Nations finale that spoilt home captain Alun Wyn Jones' record-breaking appearance.

This was Scotland's first win on Welsh soil since 2002 and also meant they ended the coronavirus-delayed tournament having won three successive Championship matches for the first time in 24 years.

By contrast, Saturday's result in Llanelli saw reigning Six Nations champions Wales suffer a fifth successive loss in all Tests under coach Wayne Pivac.

Scotland replacement hooker Stuart McInally's try just after the hour mark proved to be a crucial score.

Although Leigh Halfpenny reduced the lead to 11-10, Scotland captain Stuart Hogg put the result beyond doubt when he landed a penalty with the last kick of the game after impressive flanker Jamie Ritchie won a turnover.

- 'Character building' -

Scotland coach Gregor Townsend was in no doubt of the signficance of this win, telling the BBC: "You get confidence from games like that; it's character building when you're away from home. 

"We're going to make sure we keep the momentum going."

This was not the way Wales skipper Jones would have wanted to mark his 149th Test as he took sole possession of an international appearance record he had shared with 148-time capped Richie McCaw, New Zealand's now-retired World Cup-winning captain.

"Well done to Scotland, I think they really ground out the win in the last 10 minutes," said Jones.

"I thought we were better in patches today but the form's gotten away from us and it's not good enough."

A behind closed doors match took place at Parc Y Scarlets after Wales' Cardiff headquarters was commissioned as a field hospital by the Welsh government in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Wales, fresh from a 38-21 warm-up defeat by France, were forced into a late change when flanker Justin Tipuric withdraw with tonsilitis. 

Scotland welcomed back several leading players to their starting XV, with Hogg and lock Jonny Gray returning after helping Exeter win an English Premiership and European Champions Cup double.

Fly-half Finn Russell, making his first Scotland start since last year's World Cup, opened the scoring with a 35-metre penalty on a blustery day.

But Scotland's failure to make more of their early dominance was punished by a Wales try nine minutes before half-time following their first entry into the visitors' 22.

Scotland hooker Fraser Brown missed the mark with his line-out throw and Wales pounced, prop Rhys Carre surging over and fly-half Dan Biggar converting to put the hosts 7-3 up.

Falling behind was made worse for Scotland when Russell limped off what appeared to be a groin injury.

Replacement Adam Hastings cut Wales' lead to a point when he landed a penalty with the last kick of the first half.

Wales too lost their No 10 when Biggar went off injured early in a scrappy second half.

The match came to life just after the hour. From a scrum penalty, Scotland kicked for the corner, with McInally driven over from the ensuing line-out.


Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting