The filmmaker’s exit is being attributed to “creative differences.” The production is now looking for a new director, a search that will likely push back filming by at least a few weeks. Wainwright’s previous credits include “Stigmata,” “The Fog” and “Blank Check.”
More from Variety
- Film News Roundup: 'Galaxy Quest' Documentary Set for Release
- TV Review: 'Too Old to Die Young'
- Cannes: Robert Pattinson, Shailene Woodley Attend Starry Vanity Fair Party
“Not Without Hope” tells the story of Nick Schuyler, who managed to survive hours in the freezing water after his boat capsized in the Gulf of Mexico. Schuyler was on a fishing trip with three friends, two of whom were Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper and free-agent NFL defensive lineman Corey Smith. Their brutal ordeal became a major news story. The film is based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Schuyler and Jere Longman. E. Nicholas Mariani wrote the screenplay. The project was being shopped at this year’s virtual Cannes Film Market.
“Not Without Hope” was expected to be one of the first films to go back into production in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Teller’s upcoming films include “Top Gun: Maverick” and “After Exile.”
CAA Media Finance put the film together. A spokesperson for Wainwright did not immediately return a call for comment.
Best of Variety
- Best Horror Movies to Watch on Netflix Right Now
- What's Coming to Disney Plus in August 2020
- Everything Coming to Netflix in August