Advertisement

Prince William Pulls Out of Memorial Ceremony Honoring Godfather Due to "Personal Matter"

His failure to attend was reportedly not linked to King Charles's recent cancer diagnosis.

<p>Getty Images</p>

Getty Images

Though he was previously scheduled to attend, Prince William will no longer be appearing at a memorial for his godfather, King Constantine of Greece, due to a "personal matter," People reports.

William, the 41-year-old Prince of Wales, will no longer be able to attend Tuesday's service of Thanksgiving at St. George’s Chapel, which happened today. His failure to attend is due to a personal issue, People says, citing Kensington Palace. However, the personal reason is reportedly not connected with his father, King Charles, who was diagnosed with cancer in January, prompting a worldwide outpouring of concern.

It’s unclear what triggered William to stay home today, and some royal watchers feared his lack of attendance could be related to the health of his wife, Kate Middleton. She is currently recuperating from an abdominal surgery she received on January 16 at the London Clinic. However, a Palace source told People that Middleton “continues to be doing well” while recovering from January’s surgery.

King Constantine of Greece was 82 at the time of his death in January 2023. Today’s ceremony was supposed to feature a reading from William, who reportedly told Constantine’s family in advance that he would be unable to attend the high-profile service.

The ceremony featured an array of British royals, including Prince Andrew and his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, as well as Queen Camilla, Princess Beatrice, and more.

For more InStyle news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on InStyle.