Prince Harry says 'something big is coming' as he trails next Invictus Games

·Royal Correspondent
·3-min read

Watch: Prince Harry says 'something big is coming' as he announces Invictus Games

Prince Harry has revealed the next dates for his beloved Invictus Games as he shared "something big is coming".

Harry, 36, took a selfie video in his home in California, in which he said: "It's time to spread the news.

"Something big is coming, Germany."

The video then cut to a shot of German Minister of Defence Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer who clenched her fist in a victory cheer as she read the news about the next stop on the games, before showing one of the athletes lacing up their shoes and running.

In honour of the next games, a new Twitter account was set up with the name 'Invictus Games Dusseldorf 2023' and the handle @InvictusGamesDE. 

THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS - MAY 09: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex during the launch of the Invictus Games on May 9, 2019 in The Hague, Netherlands. (Photo by Patrick van Katwijk/WireImage)
Prince Harry launched the Invictus Games in May 2019 in The Hague, Netherlands for 2020. They have been postponed twice. (Patrick van Katwijk/WireImage)

Read more: Will the Queen and Prince Harry meet when he is in the UK?

The at-home shot of the duke could show his continued commitment to the games, which he founded in 2014, despite moving to the US.

The Invictus Games is one of the projects which the Queen allowed him to continue working with even after he stepped back as a senior royal.

The games have previously been hosted in the US, though Harry does not seem to have sought to hold them there again just yet.

Watch: Harry and Meghan: Invictus Games 'proud' to have Prince Harry remain as patron after royal announcement

He will be hoping to travel to The Hague in the Netherlands, next year, when the 2020 games will finally be held, more than three years after they were launched.

He went to the city soon after the birth of his son Archie to launch the games but they had to be postponed in 2020 and then again in 2021, meaning organisers now hope to host them in 2022.

There will be just a year's gap between those and the next ones as the dates for the games in Germany were set as 9-16 September.

The games are for injured and wounded former servicemen and women and were inspired by the Warrior Games, which Harry saw in the US in 2013, when he was on a tour there.

Britain's Prince Harry and his girlfriend actress Meghan Markle watch the wheelchair tennis event during the Invictus Games in Toronto, Ontario, Canada September 25, 2017.   REUTERS/Mark Blinch
Harry and Meghan made their couple debut at Invictus Games where they watched the wheelchair tennis event in Toronto, Canada in 2017. (Reuters/Mark Blinch)

Read more: 'Not as good as Paw Patrol': What children think about The Bench, Meghan Markle's debut book

They were held in Toronto in 2017, and were where Meghan made her debut as Harry's girlfriend.

Harry has appeared in several videos for the Invictus Games Foundation since stepping back from his senior royal role, and remains the Foundation's patron.

The team at the Games said they were still "proud" to have him as their patron after his step back was confirmed in February 2021.

He also used the Games as the inspiration for his first Netflix documentary, making Heart of Invictus, about the athletes who have competed.

The programme provided funding for the foundation.