Prince Harry receives apology over military story

Britain's Prince Harry has won an apology and substantial damages from the publishers of the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

The Duke of Sussex had sued the tabloid for libel over claims he had turned his back on the military when he ended his royal role.

Harry launched the legal action after an article in the paper in October said he had lost touch with the Marines, a British Navy commando force he had a formal relationship with until he stepped back from his royal duties last March.

It added that the Queen's grandson had snubbed the armed forces and ignored correspondence from a former British military chief.

Harry served in the armed forces for a decade and saw active service twice in Afghanistan.

"All of these allegations are false as the Mail on Sunday and the Mail Online have accepted, albeit after considerable damage was already done," his lawyer, Jenny Afia, told a remote hearing at London's High Court on Monday (February 1).

The paper had agreed to pay damages which Harry would donate to the Invictus Games, an international sporting event he founded for military personnel wounded in action, she said.

Harry's libel case is separate from the action his wife Meghan is taking against the Mail on Sunday.

She is suing the publication over articles which included parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father in 2018.

Last month she asked the High Court to rule that the paper breached her privacy and copyright, without the need for a trial, which is scheduled for later this year.