South China Morning Post
Alleged Hong Kong gangster “Shanghai Boy” Kwok Wing-hung is expected to be granted police bail on Tuesday, the Post has learned, following his arrest at the weekend on returning to the city after two years on the run.Kwok, 62, who has been in custody since he was detained at Hong Kong airport on Sunday, would have to quarantine in a hotel room at his own expense for the next 12 days under the city’s Covid-19 rules, according to a force insider. ‘Shanghai Boy’ arrested upon return to Hong Kong after years on the runHong Kong residents arriving in the city who have been to any overseas countries in the past 14 days must undergo compulsory quarantine, according to the Centre for Health Protection.Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.As of Tuesday afternoon, Kwok was still being held for questioning at Hong Kong International Airport’s police station on Lantau, according to police.Kwok was taken into custody at the airport when he arrived on a flight from Bangkok on Sunday.A force insider said officers had been expecting him to touch down after receiving intelligence about his return to the city.He was then taken to the airport police station upon testing negative for the coronavirus. Police arrested him on suspicion of conspiracy to wound, criminal damage and criminal libel.Kwok has been wanted by local law enforcers since he failed to report to police in April 2018 following his arrest the previous year for allegedly laundering more than HK$100 million between 2007 and 2012. The money was believed to be the proceeds of illegal bookmaking activities.This is not the first time Kwok has been apprehended by authorities. He was previously arrested for criminal intimidation, conspiracy to wound with intent and conspiracy to blackmail in July 2016 after flying into the city via a flight from Phuket, Thailand.That wounding case involves a January 2016 incident in which a local businessman was injured.It was understood that the blackmail cases date back to between January and April 2016 and relate to his alleged followers pinning up posters in the street.In August 2012, Kwok and two rural leaders were among 130 people arrested in a crackdown on two triad gangs suspected of laundering HK$300 million in ill-gotten gains.Kwok was said to have been the most powerful leader of the Wo Shing Wo triad society from 1998 to 2000 and still exerted great influence.He became a figure of public interest in March 2012 when he was seen attending a private banquet with campaign officers for Leung Chun-ying, who was running as a candidate in the chief executive election, a race he won.More from South China Morning Post: * Alleged triad gangster arrested upon return to Hong Kong after years on the run * Hong Kong’s bars, clubs, karaoke lounges will be forced to close again, as city faces 83 new cases of Covid-19This article Alleged triad gangster ‘Shanghai Boy’ expected to be released on police bail following Hong Kong airport arrest first appeared on South China Morning PostFor the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2020.