Police say no report of untoward incident so far after viral videos shows huge crowd outside Shah Alam clothing boutique over purported RM1 bargain sale (VIDEO)

Malay Mail
Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, April 2 — A Muslim-wear clothing boutique in Shah Alam, Selangor was ordered to close after some 500 people turned up to seize a purported ongoing bargain sale, with shoppers tussling with one another to purchase them at RM1.

Shah Alam police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Iqbal Ibrahim today said authorities were informed of a complaint around 10.30am yesterday, after a huge commotion took place at the clothing shop located in Section 7 of the Selangor state capital.

He said the shop had offered the first 100 customers the opportunity to purchase clothing at RM1, followed by the next 50 customers who were eligible to receive a free men’s kurta.

“The presence of the crowd who showed up to claim the promotion caused shoving and furore at the scene.

“Around 11.45am, the management agreed to cease their operations on security grounds after failing to control the crowd,” he said in a statement.

@uciluna_ Ya Allah Dipermudahkan lah urusan kami di bulan ramadhan ini #starvilion #uciluna #wakdoyok #masukberanda #viral Selawat Nabi Muhammad Saw - N.I.A

Mohd Iqbal said no reports have been lodged by either party over the incident.

“No untoward incident took place. The public are advised not to be gullible with promotions during this festive period, whereas business owners must avoid organising any form of promotion that could mislead the public to prevent a repeat of today’s incident,” he said.

The clothing brand that specialises in ready-to-wear Muslim fashion had earlier today offered a limited number of early birds the chance to purchase items at heavily discounted prices.

The resulting frenzy quickly spiralled out of control as shared on social media platforms TikTok and Twitter, showing customers sandwiched between one another and tussling to grab the heavily-discounted items.

In one of the clips posted on social media, shoppers were seen barging into the store as soon as the doors opened, which left security personnel struggling to control the crowd.