KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 2 — The Town and Country Planning Department’s (PlanMalaysia) Legal and Regulatory Planning Division said that it does not have the authority to compel the Selangor state to refer the hilltop development project proposal in Taman Kelab Ukay, Bukit Antarabangsa to them.
A spokesperson from PlanMalaysia said the decision on whether or not to bring the proposed project to them or to the National Physical Planning Council (NPPC) lays solely with the Selangor menteri besar, News Straits Times reported.
“If the menteri besar decides to bring the proposal to NPPC, only then would we take action.
“However, if the menteri besar wants to settle it at state level, he can do so as the state government has its own Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA) Development Committee.
“Our authority only begins when they submit the proposal to us (to be brought up with the NPPC),” the spokesperson was quoted as saying.
The spokesperson also advised developers to follow the Government’s Green Procurement guidelines when planning developments.
It was reported that the proposed project had left residents feeling uneasy with fears of potential disaster in the landslide-prone area.
On Tuesday, Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) president, Ani Ahmad, said that there will be no new housing project development in Taman Kelab Ukay, Bukit Antarabangsa, Ampang, for now, as the planning permission issued to develop the area expired on October 13, last year.
She said that if the developer, Lembah Langat Development Sdn Bhd, wishes to proceed with the project, it will need to re-apply for planning permission, to allow all aspects of development in the hilly area to be studied.
Ani said that the development proposal had been approved by the Environmentally Sensitive Areas Development Technical Committee Meeting (JTPKSAS) meeting on September 24, 2019, followed by the approval of the Social Impact Assessment Report (SIA) on November 5, 2019 and OSC approval on December 23, in the same year.
The planning permission approval was issued in 2020, covering a period of one year from October 14, 2020 to October 13, 2021, before it was extended for another year from October 14, 2021 to October 13, 2022.
However, until October 7, 2022, no development work has started on the site, even though the developer submitted a Notice of Commencement of Earthworks (Form B) to MPAJ, resulting in the approval issued expiring on October 13, 2022, said Ani.