The Penang state executive council has approved an RM20 million financial assistance package to face the challenges of the movement control order (MCO).
“The financial package is aimed at bringing relief to target groups affected by the re-imposition of the MCO,” said Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow in a statement this afternoon.
Last year, he said the state government had provided a total of RM151 million in financial assistance to many affected people, businesses and organisations.
On the same note, the chief minister appealed to all quarters to comply with the SOPs in place in order to curtail the spread of the disease in the state.
“We should be aware that according to the Penang Health Department statistics, up to Jan 13, 2021, out of an accumulative figure of 5,479 cases, 3,246 (59 percent) are local citizens while 2,233 (41 percent) are non-citizens.
“It is clear that the virus is everywhere and anyone, whether local or foreigner, can be inflicted.
“Therefore, we should not be complacent and take all necessary precautions to protect all the people in the state,” he added.
Effective midnight yesterday, MCO was implemented in eight states and territories following the sharp incline in Covid-19 cases nationwide.
Apart from Penang, the MCO was enforced in Selangor, Malacca, Johor, Sabah, Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan.
Whereas Pahang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Kedah, Terengganu and Kelantan remained under the conditional MCO but with stricter rules.
In announcing the MCO, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said the Malaysian healthcare system was at breaking point.