A husky puppy that was left inside a car with its mouth taped shut on a hot day remained in the care of animal control more than a week later, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said on July 28.
Footage recorded by police on July 20 shows the arrest of Raul Carbajal, the owner of the three-month-old dog.
The puppy can be seen being cared for inside the car, as a woman tells the LVMPD officer that the canine “wasn’t able to breathe”.
Carbajal can then be seen approaching the car and being lead away and handcuffed. The arresting officer asks: “You realize how hot it is outside? You had the vehicle off, windows up, and you had tape around your dog’s mouth.”
Highs of 43 degrees Celsius were recorded in Las Vegas on July 20.
The police department said that Carbajal was arrested for willful, malicious torture of an animal. Credit: Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department via Storyful
- Where's the dog at?
- The dog's [INAUDIBLE].
- All right.
- [INAUDIBLE] He was all over with a lot of saliva, and maybe he wasn't able to breathe.
- Here come the owner, sir.
- You're the owner of this vehicle, the Mercedes?
- All right, turn around. Put your hands behind your back. All together. Don't interlock your fingers, palms together. You have a husky inside the vehicle? Any weapons on you sir? Any ID on you? [INAUDIBLE] 23 in custody.
- That's my vehicle.
- Stand right here, don't move. Have a seat. You going to jail on a felony of willful endangerment of an animal. You realize how hot it is outside? You have the vehicle off, windows up, and you had tape around your dog's mouth.