KOTA KINABALU, March 19 (Bernama) — The Sabah state government will be monitoring its students in Peninsular Malaysia via Sabah Foundation office and the Sabah Government Liaison Office, during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period, from March 18 to 31.
Sabah Education and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Yusof Yacob said the state government had advised them not to return to Sabah at the moment and to stay at their respective hostel and residence, to avoid COVID-19 infection.
“We have contacted student leaders in higher education institutions (IPT) in the peninsula. Generally, Sabah students are staying in the campus because universities want them to inside their compound to curb the spread of the virus.
“However, some of them studying in public and private colleges, had gone back to Sabah safely. Sabah Foundation sponsored students in secondary schools or boarding schools in the peninsula had returned to Sabah last week following the school holidays,” he said in a statement today.
A total of 3,260 Sabah sponsored students are studying outside the state including overseas.
Out of the number, 2,136 are state government scholarship holders while 1,124 are under Sabah Foundation including 276 secondary school students.
Dr Yusof said his ministry will always be in contact with the Education Ministry and Higher Education Ministry to ensure the welfare and safety of all students from the state are being taken care off during the duration of MCO.
TAG: Sabah, Yusof Yacob, Education and Innovation Ministry, Sabah students, movement control order, COVID-19