A New Zealand court sentenced a man who killed 51 Muslim worshippers last year to life in prison without parole on Thursday (August 27).
It was the deadliest shooting in the country's history and Thursday was a first for New Zealand to hand down such a sentence.
29-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant admitted to 51 charges of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one charge of committing a terrorist act.
He live livestreamed the shooting rampage at two Christchurch mosques on Facebook.
When handing down the sentence High Court Judge Cameron Mander said: "As far as I am able to gauge, you are empty of any empathy for your victims. . .Your crimes, however, are so wicked that even if you are detained until you die it will not exhaust the requirements of punishment and denunciation."
Prosecutors had told the court earlier in the week that Tarrant had carefully planned the attacks to cause maximum carnage.
It was revealed that he expressed regret for not taking more lives and that he had intended to burn down the mosques after the shootings.
Tarrant, a white supremacist, who represented himself during his trial, said through a lawyer in court on Thursday that he did not oppose the prosecution's application for a life without parole sentence.