North Korea says it will stop sending 'trash balloons' into South

North Korea said Sunday it would stop sending trash-filled balloons across the border into the South, saying the "disgusting" missives had been an effective countermeasure against propaganda sent by anti-regime activists.

Since Tuesday, the North has sent nearly a thousand balloons carrying bags of rubbish containing everything from cigarette butts to bits of cardboard and plastic, Seoul's military said, warning the public to stay away.

South Korea has called the latest provocation from its nuclear-armed neighbour "irrational" and "low-class" but, unlike the spate of recent ballistic missile launches, the trash campaign does not violate UN sanctions on Kim Jong Un's isolated regime.

Seoul on Sunday warned it would take strong countermeasures unless the North called off the balloon bombardment, saying it runs counter to the armistice agreement that ended the 1950-53 Korean War hostilities.

Late Sunday, the North announced it would stop its campaign, after scattering what it claimed was "15 tons of waste paper" using thousands of "devices" to deliver them.

The North said it will now "temporarily suspend" its campaign, saying it had been a "pure countermeasure".

(AFP)


Read more on FRANCE 24 English

Read also:
'Gifts of sincerity': N. Korea sends balloons carrying excrement into S. Korea
North Korea fires unidentified missile into sea in latest weapons launch, Seoul says
North Korea fires ballistic missile as top US diplomat visits Seoul