KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 19 — The government will not allocate any subsidies for the Menu Rahmah initiative despite the rising cost of goods.
Domestic Trade and Cost of Living (KPDN) Minister Datuk Seri Salahuddin Ayub said they would work closely with those participating in the initiative, adding that based on the current situation, there was no need to allocate any subsidies for the programme.
“We’ve given plenty of subsidies. Thus far I’ve given my guarantee to the Cabinet that this initiative will not include any government money and we have conveyed that to the industry players as well,” he was quoted saying in Mingguan Malaysia.
“For example, when speaking to the palm oil players I asked if they could reduce prices and they said yes as long as they can get enough foreign labour. Hence the Cabinet decided to sort out these infrastructural inadequacies first before moving on to other areas,” he added.
Previously, Salahuddin had said that the implementation of the Menu Rahmah initiative, which offers a meal at RM5 and below since the end of last month, incurs neither any expenditure nor allocation from the government.
Since its launch, Menu Rahmah has been well received throughout the country with many eateries responding to the government’s aspiration to help feed those in need, especially those in the B40 group.
Salahuddin said his ministry has never forced any business, entrepreneur or food industry player, big or small, to get involved in the Menu Rahmah initiative.