Nigeria suspends Twitter over president's tweet

Nigeria says it has suspended Twitter's activities indefinitely, two days after it removed a post from President Muhammadu Buhari that threatened to punish regional secessionists.

As of the early hours of Saturday (June 5), Twitter's website was inaccessible in Nigeria on some mobile carriers, while its app and website worked on others, according to Reuters tests in Lagos and Abuja.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed said on Friday the platform was persistently used for activities that are, quote, "capable of undermining Nigeria's corporate existence."

But he didn't give further details about those activities or what form the suspension would take.

Twitter said it was investigating what it called a "deeply concerning" suspension of operations by the Nigerian government.

On Wednesday, the social media giant said Buhari's post, which threatened to punish groups blamed for attacks on government buildings, had violated Twitter's "abusive behavior" policy.

In April, the information minister reacted angrily when Twitter chose neighboring Ghana for its first African office.

He said the company had been influenced by media misrepresentations of Nigeria, including reports of crackdowns on protests calling for police reform last year.

Demonstrators used social media to organize, raise money and share alleged proof of police harassment.