Premier League side Newcastle United have said they are “deeply concerned” by reports that a fan was stabbed in Milan on Monday night.
A 58-year-old was apparently attacked by a group of men in the city centre ahead of the Magpies’ Champions League clash with AC Milan on Tuesday.
Pictures posted online showed a man with a bloodied torso lying on the ground.
A Newcastle spokesperson said: “We are deeply concerned by reports that a supporter was seriously assaulted in Milan on Monday evening and we are liaising with local authorities to understand the circumstances.
“Our thoughts are with the supporter and their family and we hope for a full and speedy recovery.”
Milano Today reported that the man had been stabbed twice in the arm and once in the back and was taken to hospital, where his condition was improving.
A spokesperson for Milan Police told the PA news agency: “The incident took place about midnight in the neighbourhood of Navigli, which is populated with bars.
“A police patrol came across the incident, which involved seven or eight people wearing hooded sweatshirts. We are still searching for these people.
“A supporter of Newcastle, who is 58 years old, suffered two slight wounds to his arms and one a little bit deeper on his back. He was sent to the Policlinico Hospital and is expected to be discharged later today.
“DIGOS (Divisione Investigazioni Generali e Operazioni Speciali), the branch which deals with football supporters, is investigating, but at this moment it is not clear if this is related to football or something else because no emblems were visible.”
Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie has now spoken to the daughter of Eddie McKay, who he reveals was stabbed by men in balaclavas last night.
Downie wrote on X: “I’ve spoken to the family of 58-year-old Newcastle fan Eddie McKay, who was stabbed by men in balaclavas last night. He’s in a stable condition after being stabbed in the back & arms. His daughter Rachel said her dad wanted to send a message to #NUFC fans here in Milan.”
The McKay’s daughter said: “My dad is stable but in shock. He is gutted he’s missing the match but just wants every other Newcastle fan out there to be aware of this and be safe. He just had two knee replacements so he fell when he was being chased and that is when he was attacked. I’m flying out there.”
The article Newcastle ‘deeply concerned’ after fan is stabbed in Milan; daughter sends message to other supporters appeared first on Football365.com.