More than 50,000 people flee Haiti capital due to rampant gang violence

More than 50,000 people were displaced from Port-au-Prince within three weeks last month, fleeing an explosion of gang violence in the Haitian capital, the United Nations said Tuesday.

Between March 8 and March 27, 53,125 people left the city, according to a report from the UN's International Organization for Migration (IOM), joining the Caribbean nation's 116,000 people already displaced in recent months.

Most of those who fled Port-au-Prince in March headed south, the IOM said, with the vast majority reporting they were leaving "because of violence and insecurity."

"It should be emphasized that (the other) provinces do not have sufficient infrastructures and host communities do not have sufficient resources that can enable them to cope with these massive displacement flows coming from the capital," the IOM report said.

The displacement came as Haiti has been rocked by a surge in violence since February, when its powerful criminal gangs teamed up as they attacked police stations, prisons, the airport and the seaport.

Read moreHow a lack of leadership allowed gangs to take over Haiti

Unelected and unpopular, Henry announced March 11 he would step down to make way for a so-called transitional council.


Read more on FRANCE 24 English

Read also:
Haiti's future governing council vows to restore ‘public and democratic order’
‘Haiti is a country that’s drowning’: Migrants recount trauma of fleeing home
France evacuates more than 170 French nationals from Haiti