Advertisement

Mom Claims Easy Bake Oven Poisoned Family

A mom says her family had "difficulty breathing" and spent the night in an ER after using the Hasbro toy

<p>Getty</p> stock image of emergency hospital sign

Getty

stock image of emergency hospital sign

A mother is claiming that she, her husband, and their 8-year-old daughter got sick after attempting to prepare food using an Easy Bake Oven.

On Monday, a TikTok user named Stephanie, who goes by steph_murphy on the app, posted a video explaining how the family of three ended up hospitalized over the weekend.

In the video, which is just over 5 minutes long, the woman says that the three “were all admitted to the ER on Saturday because of an Easy Bake Oven.”

Related: Easy Bake Oven: Nostalgia For Mom, Fun For Kids

According to Stephanie, she was in another room of the home when her husband Ryan and their daughter Nora removed the brand-new toy from its packaging and began to make a two-layer red velvet cake.

As soon as they plugged in the oven, Nora allegedly thought there was a strange smell, but Ryan assumed it was just because the oven was made from plastic. However, Stephanie noted that Ryan had previously lost his ability to properly taste and smell “for three years” due to COVID.

Since the dessert had to be baked one layer at a time, according to Stephanie, Ryan and Nora joined her in their living room to play a game.

Approximately 16-20 minutes later, Ryan and Nora went to remove the first portion of the cake from the Easy Bake Oven “and realized it still was not cooked fully,” so they gave up on baking altogether and unplugged the oven.

“Nobody ate it, they threw it away,” Stephanie said.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Soon after, Nora began “complaining of chest pains.” At this point, “about 45 minutes” had passed since the father and daughter initially plugged in the product.

Because the family was already relaxed, sitting in their living room, Stephanie suggested they just monitor the situation and “see what happens.”

Once the child allegedly said she was “having trouble breathing,” her mother used a pulse oximeter to check her vital signs.

She says Nora’s reading came back as “89,” which is “very low,” so the family headed to the ER. While en route, Ryan also began complaining of “difficulty breathing,” said Stephanie.

The three were eventually seen and doctors allegedly “assumed it was carbon monoxide poisoning” since the family’s symptoms all happened within an hour. However, when the family was tested for carbon monoxide poisoning, the results came back negative.

<p>Getty</p> Stock image of heart rate monitor

Getty

Stock image of heart rate monitor

Stephanie said the fire department was later sent to their home to check for lead, carbon monoxide and mold, but by that time, it had been eight hours since the Easy Bake Oven was unplugged.

After several hours in the ER, Nora was transferred to Boston’s Children’s Hospital. She went home around 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Hasbro spokesperson Crystal Flynn gave the following statement to PEOPLE.

"At Hasbro, we take all product safety concerns seriously. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, and the Easy Bake Oven is designed to meet or exceed those standards. We are confident that there is nothing in the design of the Easy Bake Oven or Easy Bake mixes that could cause the symptoms described. Regardless of circumstances, the wellbeing of our customers is our foremost concern, and we wish those involved a speedy recovery."

Stephanie said she healed faster than Ryan and Nora, likely because she was not in the kitchen when the two were baking — adding that her husband and child were prescribed five days-worth of steroids, and had to take an inhaler every four hours.

Stephanie reiterated that they never ate the product.

“If we baked the second cake, we would’ve then been exposed to it for another 20 minutes. What would’ve happened then?” the mother asked.

“And what would’ve happened if we didn’t take my daughter seriously when she said she had trouble breathing?”

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.