MLB suspends Starlin Castro 30 games for violating domestic violence policy

·1-min read

Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro has been suspended for 30 games without pay by Major League Baseball for violating the league’s domestic violence policy.

Castro was placed on the restricted list back in June for what Nationals manager Dave Martinez referred to as “family matters.” On July 16, Castro was put on administrative leave under the MLB’s domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy. That leave was extended by an additional seven days last week.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement that after reviewing the evidence available, he concluded that Castro violated the league’s domestic violence policy. Castro was also fined an undisclosed amount of money and will be ineligible for the 2021 postseason.

Following MLB’s ruling going public, the Nationals announced that they will release Castro following the conclusion of his suspension.

“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will be releasing Starlin Castro upon the completion of his suspension,” the organization said.

Castro is in his second season with the Nationals following stints with the Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees and Miami Marlins. Before going on administrative leave, Castro had a .283 batting average with three home runs and 38 runs batted in 87 games played.

Castro was accused of sexual assault in connection to a 2011 incident in Chicago. He was not charged with a crime due to insufficient evidence.

More from Yahoo Sports:

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting