Missouri's supreme court on Tuesday refused to consider Johnson & Johnson's appeal of a $2 billion damages case.
The damages are for women who say that they were diagnosed with ovarian cancer because of asbestos, a known carcinogen, detected in the company's baby powder as well as other talcum products.
The state's highest court did however reduce Johnson & Johnson's payout by over half the dollar amount, dismissing some of the 22 plaintiffs' claims.
The company said it plans to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.
It said the verdict was the product of a quote "fundamentally flawed trial" and maintained that "Johnson's Baby Powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer."
Meanwhile, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs said in a statement that the company should accept the decision and "move forward with proper compensation to the victims."
Johnson & Johnson said in May it would stop selling its baby powder in the United States and Canada and just last month, they said they still face almost 22,000 lawsuits.
The New Jersey-based company has received criticism for its baby powder since a 2018 Reuters investigation found it knew for decades that asbestos lurked in its talc.