Newly released bodycam footage shows emergency responders working in frigid temperatures to rescue a woman from a car partially submerged in a frozen pond in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on Thursday, December 22.
Body camera footage from the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office timestamped as being taken on December 22 – when the low temperature was -3 degrees Fahrenheit – shows rescuers working to free the woman.
Local news outlets reported that the woman was fine after being transported to the hospital. Credit: Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office via Storyful
- It does--
- It doesn't go down?
- I think it's at the bottom. This is not a very--
- At the bottom?
- This is not a very deep pond.
- Hey, can-- hey, can you open that door at all?
- --if you can get on top, here can you get the baton and smash that front window out? Here.
- I don't want to-- I don't know if that'll let more water in.
- With her sitting in that--
- It does--
- Give me that plate there.
- I thought you only take it from here.
- Take it from there.
- See if you can bust that front window.
- Close your eyes, ma'am. Look away from the glass.
- Here, I'll hold the back. Ready?
- I'm more nervous about--
- Here, give me it.
- Here, use my window puncher.
- I have a window punch-- You have a window punch?
- Ma'am, how you doing?
- Kimmy, can you hear us?
- She's talking. She's talking.
- She's talking? OK.
- Hey, do you know if the wheel's free?
- Hey, right here.
- Hey, will--
- Right here.
- Just knock this out and--
- You want this?
- You got the punch?
- Yeah, I got one too.
- Coming at you. I'm throwing it. It's just on that flip.
- Here. I'm--
- You got one?
- It's fine if that doesn't--
- Oh, there we go.
- Ma'am, push back.
- Those are expensive.
- Turn away.
- Look away. Look to the passenger side, ma'am.
- All right, we got a lot of weight on this side now.
- Watch out.
- All right.
- Oh! Oh! It's too much! It's too much water here.
- I know, just breathe, Kimmy, OK? Just breathe.
- We're coming. We're coming.
- Are you sure--
- Oh, oh yes. OK.
- Hey guys, it's hard to pack more--
- Back up, back up, back up.
- Get back.
- No one else was in the car, right?
- No one else in the car?
- I can't get it open.
- Is her seatbelt on?
- Mitch, you got her--
- Where's the ice thing?
- They're breaking the ice right here.
- Oh, you got a rope, hey?
- Gotta go around and go around the door.
- All right, wrap that around her.
- You got that big hook side or is it on--
- Need an extra hand on the rope?
- Extra hands on the rope, yeah.
- All right, let's go!