Pundit Micah Richards claims one of Tottenham’s regulars this season is heading for the exit door in what would be something of a surprise departure.
The Spurs manager is hoping to welcome some new signings this month to help push his side back up the table. Indeed, having lost four times in 10 home games this season, some supporters have expressed concern at the direction Tottenham are headed in.
This last time year, Spurs were also undergoing something of a dodgy spell. However, the captures of Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur from Juventus reinvigorated the squad and helped them usurp Arsenal to fourth.
This time around, Conte needs a similar kick to help Tottenham secure another Champions League berth.
To that end, the Italian is desperate to add a new midfielder and a new right-back to his ranks. As far as a midfielder goes, one target in Franck Kessie appears to have snubbed Spurs for a second time with the player destined to move elsewhere.
However, the Tottenham boss looks set to have more luck when it comes to adding a new right-back.
And per an exciting update earlier on Tuesday, the club are seemingly edging closer to an agreement for Pedro Porro.
The Sporting Lisbon star has been Conte’s top target ever since impressing in both Champions League games against Spurs this season. And while his £39.8m (€45m) exit clause continues to cause issues, talks have been held to reach a conclusion.
Tottenham’s current offer stands at around £31m (€35m); an offer rebuffed by the Portuguese giants.
But Tuesday’s update suggests there is a confidence that a solution can be found. And the good news keeps on coming amid claims that Sporting have reportedly identified Porro’s replacement at right-back.
Micah Richards tips Matt Doherty to be sold
With Porro expected to sign, there is room for Spurs to offload at least one of their three right-backs already on the books.
And with Southampton considering a move to sign Djed Spence on loan, there are also claims Emerson Royal could return to a former club for a significant financial hit.
However, the man who has featured most frequently in the position, Matt Doherty, is the player Richards thinks Conte is actually looking to sell.
The Irishman appears to have recovered from something of a patchy run of form to take the shirt regularly in recent weeks. Indeed, he has featured in 15 games in all competitions this season.
Despite that, Richards reckons he is the one Conte is looking to offload.
Discussing their derby defeat to Arsenal on BBC Radio 5’s Monday Night Club, Richards had his say on Tottenham’s struggles namechecking Doherty.
“We’re talking about what he’s dealing with. We have to be honest,” he said. “It’s easy to say they’re not playing well, but he’s not been able to rely on what would be his ‘best 11’.
“And we’re only halfway through. Spurs are going through their dip and they’re boring to watch and they’re not giving the fans what they want to see, but a manager is working with the squad that he has and he’s working with a system that has worked in the past.
“I believe Spurs will come good because the manager says that.
“At this moment in time, if you’re looking at the players who played the other day – Doherty is on his way out, Sessegnon is in and out, he has some really good games but he’s not (consistent).”
READ MORE: Tottenham to make landmark signing that’ll force out fallen icon who’s sabotaging Antonio Conte
The article Micah Richards claims surprise Tottenham man is toast with Conte ready to sell this month appeared first on Teamtalk.com.